This qualification is an entry level for LIS studies and will form the basis for further learning in this learning pathway to level five and above, which already exist. It will serve to increase the skills-base, productivity and efficiency of the nation’s human capital as well as adding value to information provision. The qualifying learner will acquire basic knowledge of LIS to provide library support service. The purpose of this qualification is to create the opportunity for a career path, provide process and service standards, improve productivity and service delivery in the provision of LIS.
The beneficiary assessed as competent against this qualification will be able to:
- Provide routine LIS service
- Administer routine LIS service
- Provide routine library and Information for front-line customer service
- Provide workplace skills in the provision of LIS
BEPE Developments believes that the following beneficiaries to meet the above needs and standards that will add value to society:
- New entrance to LIS Services
- Unemployed persons
- School leavers
- The youth in our country who are untrained and wishing to empower themselves and serve their communities.
- People who wish to further their studies but are currently, volunteering in local libraries.
- Disabled persons who are passionate about education and training and wishing to pursue a career path in LIS.
- Youth who are passionate about educating school children by volunteering to revitalize school libraries to advocate reading with meaning.
Entry level requirements:
There are no access limitations on any learners or classes of learners for this qualification, however, it is desirable that learners be competent at:
- Communication at NQF Level 3
- Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 3